Solitary fibrous tumours (SFT) are rare neoplasms, with an uncommon laryngeal involvement. Only five cases of laryngeal localization have been described in literature. The following is a case of a 75-year-old man with a supraglottic neoplasm of the larynx; after the biopsy immunohistochemical study demonstrated a strong positivity for vimentin, CD34 and Bcl-2. The neoplasm was consequently classified as a SFT. CO2 laser surgery of the supraglottic larynx, with a wide excision of the neoplasm, was performed. Twenty-four months on, the patient is alive, well and free of disease. Surgical resection is the treatment of choice for laryngeal SFT, but tumour-free resection margins must be achieved to prevent the possibility of local recurrence. Endoscopic resection by means of the CO2 laser must be accurately planned with MRI or CT imaging to confirm of this kind of surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary neoplasms of the pleura. A report of five cases.Arch Pathol. 1931; 11: 385-412
- Localized benign and malignant fibrous tumours of the pleura. A clinico-pathologic review of 233 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 1989; 13: 640-658
- Solitary fibrous tumour: the emerging clinicopathologic spectrum of an entity and its differential diagnosis.Curr Diagn Pathol. 2004; 10: 229-235
- Solitary fibrous tumour—everywhere, and a diagnosis in vogue.Histopathology. 1997; 31: 568-576
- Solitary fibrous tumour: clinicopathological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural analysis of 12 cases arising in soft tissues, nasal cavity and nasopharynx, urinary bladder and prostate.Virchows Arch. 1997; 430: 445-453
- Solitary fibrous tumour: a ubiquitous neoplasm of mesenchymal differentiation.Adv Anat Pathol. 1996; 3: 388-395
- Soft tissue tumours.in: FLetcher C. Diagnostic histopathology of tumours. Churchill Livingstone, St Louis2000: 1473-1540
- Solitary fibrous tumours of the pleura: eight new cases and review of 360 cases in the literature.Cancer. 1981; 47: 2678-2689
- Tumeur fibreuse solitaire du nasopharynx. A propos d’un cas.Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac. 1997; 114: 71-75
Kempson RL, Fletcher CDM, Evans HL, Hendrickson MA, Sibley RK. Fibrous and myofibroblastic tumours. Tumours of the soft tissues. Washington, DC: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; 2001. p. 52–5.
- Clinicopathological correlates of solitary fibrous tumour.Cancer. 2002; 94: 1057-1068
- Solitary fibrous tumour.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1993; 102: 74-76
- Solitary fibrous tumour: histological and immunohistochemical spectrum of benign and malignant variants presenting at different sites.Hum Pathol. 1995; 26: 440-449
- Solitary fibrous tumour: report of two new locations in the upper respiratory tract.J Laryngol Otol. 1993; 107: 252-256
- Atypical and malignant solitary fibrous tumours in extrathoracic locations.Am J Surg Pathol. 1998; 22: 1501-1511
- Solitary fibrous tumour arising from sublingual gland: report of a case.J Laryngol Otol. 1994; 108: 998-1000
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the nasopharynx.J Laryngol Otol. 1991; 105: 213-214
- Solitary fibrous tumor of the paranasal sinuses: CT and MR appearance.AJNR. 1996; 17: 1767-1772
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the larynx: report of a case.J Laryngol Otol. 1998; 112: 286-289
- Laryngeal solitary fibrous tumours treated with CO2 laser excision: case report.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2005; 262: 286-288
- Solitary fibrous tumor of the larynx.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005; 133: 163-165
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the larynx: a case report and review of the literature.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006; 130: 213-216
- Atypical solitary fibrous tumour of the larynx.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006; 134: 880-882
Accepted: January 12, 2007
Received: November 17, 2006
© 2007 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.