We aim to explore the clinical features and influencing factors of curative effect in children harboring acute laryngitis with laryngeal obstruction.
There involved 237 children with acute laryngitis and 80 healthy children who required physical examination in our hospital between January and September in 2021. The healthy children who required physical examination were allocated into the healthy/control group. The clinical data and laboratory indexes of each group were compared. We also analyzed the risk factors for curative effect of acute laryngitis with laryngeal obstruction among children using univariate/multivariate logistic regression.
The incidence of barking cough, sore throat, dryness, pruritus, dyspnea, diffuse congestion and swelling of laryngeal mucosa and vocal cord congestion or covered with vascular striation in degree III laryngeal obstruction group were significantly higher than other study groups, with degree II laryngeal obstruction group higher than degree I group, and degree I group higher than no laryngeal obstruction group (P<0.05). Moreover, the levels of CRP, TNF-α, IL-6, IL-8 and WBC in degree III laryngeal obstruction group were higher than other three study groups, with degree II higher than degree I laryngeal obstruction group and no obstruction group, and degree I higher than no laryngeal obstruction group (P<0.05). Multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that CRP, TNF-α, IL-6 and IL-8 were the risk factors affecting the curative effect of acute laryngitis with laryngeal obstruction in children, and the differences were statistically significant (P<0.05).
The study revealed the incidence of barking cough, sore throat, dryness, pruritus, dyspnea, diffuse congestion and swelling of laryngeal mucosa vocal cord congestion or covered with vascular striation is highly associated with the severity of acute laryngitis with laryngeal obstruction in children. Additionally, higher levels of CRP, TNF-α, IL-6, IL-8 and WBC indicated serious condition of the disease among children. Hence the risk factors responsible for the efficacy of acute laryngitis in children are CRP, TNF-α, IL-6 and IL-8.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Reaction to Clindamycin Causing Laryngitis and Esophagitis.Ear Nose Throat J. 2021; 100: 437-438
- Cytomegalovirus Laryngitis in Primary Combined Immunodeficiency.Diseases. 2021; 41: 243-247
- Idiopathic Ulcerative Laryngitis: A National Survey of Academic Laryngologists.J Voice Offic J Voice Found. 2021; 35: 892-900
- Laryngeal Edema That Developed after Acute Myocardial Infarction.Intern Med. 2020; 59: 759-760
- Acute infectious laryngitis: A case series.Ear Nose Throat J. 2018; 97: 306-313
- Clinical effect of budesonide suspension aerosol inhalation in the treatment of acute infective laryngitis in children.Clin Res. 2021; 29: 42-43
- Zhu Futang Practice of Pediatrics.8th edition. People's Health Publishing House, 2015: 2457-2551
- Acute Laryngeal Injury After Intubation-Does Wait and See Mean Wait and Scar?.JAMA Otolaryngol– Head & Neck Surg. 2021; 147: 237-238
- Risperidone-Induced Acute Laryngeal Dystonia: A Case Report.Am J Case Rep. 2020; 21e922393
- Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis induced by amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, manifesting as severe laryngeal edema. 2019; 46: e443-e444
- Bilateral vocal cord paralysis after endoscopic placement of fully covered self-expandable metal stent for palliative treatment of malignant proximal esophageal obstruction: two case reports.BMC Gastroenterol. 2020; 20: 153
- Case Report of Acute Airway Obstruction Caused by Transglottic Squamous Carcinoma (Stage IV) During the Coronavirus Pandemic Cured by ECMO-Assisted.Tracheostomy. 2021; 100 (113–115s s_suppl)
- Early medical therapy for acute laryngeal injury (ALgI) following endotracheal intubation: a protocol for a prospective single-centre randomised controlled trial.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e027963
- Observation on the effect of epinephrine combined with budesonide alternate aerosol inhalation in the treatment of acute laryngitis complicated with laryngeal obstruction Chinese.J Critic Care Med. 2018; S02: 161
- Efficacy observation of norepinephrine combined with budesonide inhalation in the treatment of children with acute laryngitis complicated with severe laryngeal obstruction.China Pract Med. 2019; 14: 112-113
- Efficacy of inhaled budesonide on serum inflammatory factors and quality of life among children with acute infectious laryngitis.Am J Otolaryngol. 2021; 42102820
- The Prognostic Value of the C-reactive Protein/Prognostic Nutritional Index Ratio in Stage III and IV Laryngeal Cancer Patients Treated with Radiotherapy.Cureus. 2019; 11: e4648
- Combined PGE2 with TNF-α promotes laryngeal carcinoma progression by enhancing GRK2 and TRAF2 interaction.Neoplasma. 2020; 67: 354-363
- IL-6 Deficiency Exacerbates Allergic Asthma and Abrogates the Protective Effect of Allergic Inflammation against Streptococcus pneumoniae.Pathogenesis. 2020; 205: 469-479
- Pepsin promotes IL-8 signaling-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition in laryngeal carcinoma. 2019; 19: 64
- Prognostic significance of pretreatment neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in patients with laryngeal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.European archives of oto-rhino-laryngology: official journal of the European Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies (EUFOS): affiliated with the German Society for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2021; 278: 417-425
- Effects of dexamethasone sodium phosphate combined with budesonide on T lymphocytes and serum inflammatory factors in children with acute laryngitis.J China Prescrip Drug. 2021; 19: 131-133
- [Evaluation of selected immunologic indices in children with subglottic laryngitis].Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski Organ Polskiego Towarzystwa Lekarskiego. 1996; 1: 30
- Efficacy comparison of atomization inhalation between budesonide suspension and dexamethasone in the treatment of infants with mild and moderate asthmatic disease.J Clin Pulmon Med. 2013;
- Clinical observation of dexamethasone combined with aerosolinhalation budesonide in the treatment of acute infectious laryngitis in children.China Rural Health. 2017;
Published online: July 02, 2022
Accepted: June 17, 2022
Received: February 6, 2022
© 2022 Japanese Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.