To evaluate the effects of DX and HA on hearing preservation and tissue response with cochlear implantation in a cat mode.
11 cats were bilaterally implanted with Nurotron electrode. According to the different treatment, 22 ears were subdivided into four following groups: Electrode (E) only, Electrode +HA (E+H), Electrode + DX (E+DX), and Electrode +HA +DX (E+H+DX). Auditory brainstem responses (ABR) thresholds were recorded before and 3 months after surgery. After 3 months of cochlear implantation histopathological assessment of all cochleae were performed .
At low frequencies, the mean ABR thresholds shift in animals treated with E+H+DX demonstrated a statistically significant difference. The proportion of cochleae showing fibrous tissue and new bone formation was 50% in E+H+DX group, 66.7% in E+DX group, 83.3% in E+H group and 100% in E group.
United HA and DX local delivery could provide better protection against hearing loss at low-frequency threshold and could more effectively reduce the trauma related to electrode insertion and the fibrous tissue formation around the electrode.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Relations between cochlear histopathology and hearing loss in experimental cochlear implantation.Hear Res. 2013; 298: 27-35
- Multichannel cochlear implants: relation of histopathology to performance.LARYNGOSCOPE. 2006; 116: 1310-1320
- Histopathology of the inner ear relevant to cochlear implantation.Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2006; 64: 31-49
- Long-term hearing preservation after microsurgical excision of vestibular schwannoma.OTOL NEUROTOL. 2010; 31: 1144-1152
- Ipsilateral electric acoustic stimulation of the auditory system: results of long-term hearing preservation.Audiol Neurootol. 2006; 11: 49-56
- The hybrid cochlear implant: a review.Adv Otorhinolaryngol. 2010; 67: 125-134
- Sodium hyaluronate 2.3% prevents contact between indocyanine green and retinal pigment epithelium during vitrectomy for highly myopic macular hole retinal detachment.Retina. 2004; 24: 160-161
- Development and evaluation of the Nurotron 26-electrode cochlear implant system.Hear Res. 2015; 322: 188-199
- Representation of acoustic signals in the human cochlea in presence of a cochlear implant electrode.Hear Res. 2006; 221: 36-43
- Effect of a liposomal hyaluronic acid gel loaded with dexamethasone in a guinea pig model after manual or motorized cochlear implantation.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017; 274: 729-736
- Hearing preservation using topical dexamethasone alone and associated with hyaluronic acid in cochlear implantation.Acta Otolaryngol. 2015; 135: 473-477
- Intracochlear electrode placement facilitated by Healon.Adv Oto-Rhino Laryngol. 1993; 48: 62
- Intracochlear insertion of electrodes using hyaluronic acid in cochlear implant surgery.J Laryngol Otol. 2002; 116: 371-372
- Combined electric and acoustic stimulation of the auditory system: results of a clinical study.Audiol Neurotol. 2005; 10: 134-144
- Hearing preservation in cochlear implantation for electric acoustic stimulation.Acta Otolaryngol. 2004; 124: 348-352
- Surgery of the inner ear with hearing preservation: serial histological changes.Laryngoscope. 2003; 113: 1439-1449
- Predicting the effect of post-implant cochlear fibrosis on residual hearing.Hear Res. 2005; 205: 193-200
Published online: July 22, 2022
Accepted: July 8, 2022
Received: April 19, 2022
© 2022 Japanese Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.