To analyze the incidence of pharyngeal reflux in laryngopharyngeal reflux patients over a 24-hour period and find out the key timing of pharyngeal reflux.
We reviewed 69 patients who visited our clinic with LPR-related symptoms and were proven to have pharyngeal reflux via 24‐hour multichannel intraluminal impedance‐pH (24hr MII‐pH) monitoring. Quantitative analysis was conducted for the LPR profiles, such as the acidity of reflux, nighttime reflux, and positional reflux. The time series of pharyngeal reflux episodes and mealtimes were analyzed over a 24-hour period. Also, we recruited 26 normal controls. We compared the timing of pharyngeal reflux between LPR patients and asymptomatic controls.
The quantitative analysis revealed that pharyngeal reflux occurred 4.88 ± 4.59 times over 24 hours. Weakly acidic pharyngeal reflux was more abundant than acidic or weakly alkaline reflux. Pharyngeal reflux occurred mainly during daytime in the upright position. The most frequent timing of pharyngeal reflux episodes was within 2 hours after meals. Additionally, there was no significant difference of the timing of post-prandial reflux between LPR patients and asymptomatic controls.
The key timing of pharyngeal reflux in patients with LPR was post-prandial 2 hours.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux: diagnosis, treatment, and latest research.Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014; 18: 184-191
- Focus on gastroesophageal reflux (GER) and laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR): new pragmatic insights in clinical practice.J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2018; 32 (Suppl. 2): 41-47
- Association between 24-hour combined multichannel intraluminal impedance-pH monitoring and symptoms or quality of life in patients with laryngopharyngeal reflux.Clin Otolaryngol. 2017; 42: 584-591
- Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease - LPRD.Med Arch. 2017; 71: 215-218
- Global Consensus G.The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a global evidence-based consensus. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101 (quiz 43): 1900-1920
- The effect of baclofen combined with a proton pump inhibitor in patients with refractory laryngopharyngeal reflux: A prospective, open-label study in thirty-two patients.Clin Otolaryngol. 2019; 44: 431-434
- Gastric distention: a mechanism for postprandial gastroesophageal reflux.Gastroenterology. 1985; 89: 779-784
- Distension of the esophagogastric junction augments triggering of transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011; 301: G713-G718
- The effects of baclofen for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2014; 2014307805
- Hypopharyngeal-Esophageal Impedance-pH Monitoring Profiles of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Patients.Laryngoscope. 2021; 131: 268-276
- Pharyngeal reflux episodes in patients with suspected laryngopharyngeal reflux versus healthy subjects: a prospective cohort study.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2021;
- Validity and reliability of the reflux symptom index (RSI).J Voice. 2002; 16: 274-277
- How much pharyngeal exposure is "normal"? Normative data for laryngopharyngeal reflux events using hypopharyngeal multichannel intraluminal impedance (HMII).J Gastrointest Surg. 2012; 16 (discussion -5): 16-24
- Gastroesophageal and laryngopharyngeal reflux detected by 24-hour combined impedance and pH monitoring in healthy Chinese volunteers.J Dig Dis. 2011; 12: 173-180
- Liquid-containing Refluxes and Acid Refluxes May Be Less Frequent in the Japanese Population Than in Other Populations: Normal Values of 24- hour Esophageal Impedance and pH Monitoring.J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2016; 22: 620-629
- Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: An Update.Archives of Otorhinolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2019; 3
- Comparison Between Manual and Automated Analyses in Multichannel Intraluminal Impedance: pH Monitoring for Laryngopharyngeal Reflux.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021; (1945998211006929)
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux: prospective cohort study evaluating optimal dose of proton-pump inhibitor therapy and pretherapy predictors of response.Laryngoscope. 2005; 115: 1230-1238
- Efficacy of three proton-pump inhibitor therapeutic strategies on laryngopharyngeal reflux disease; a prospective randomized double-blind study.Clin Otolaryngol. 2019; 44: 612-618
- Transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxations and reflux: mechanistic analysis using concurrent fluoroscopy and high-resolution manometry.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 1725-1733
- 24-hour multi-pH recording of the postprandial acid pocket and the nocturnal acid distribution at the esophagogastric junction in healthy volunteers.Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2019; 31
- Transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxation and esophageal motor response.J Surg Res. 2010; 159: 714-719
- Mechanisms of Esophago-Pharyngeal Acid Regurgitation in Human Subjects.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e22630
- Can multichannel intraluminal pH-impedance monitoring be limited to 3 hours? Comparison between ambulatory 24-hour and post-prandial 3-hour recording: Three-hour pH-impedance monitoring.Dis Esophagus. 2014; 27: 732-736
- Meta-analysis of upper probe measurements in normal subjects and patients with laryngopharyngeal reflux.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2005; 114: 177-182
Published online: December 03, 2022
Accepted: November 17, 2022
Received: October 10, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Japanese Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.