Pollen-food allergy syndrome (PFAS) is an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated allergic reaction caused when patients with pollen allergy ingest food having cross-reactivity with pollen. To date, no effective treatment method for this has been established.
Here we report the case of a patient with PFAS who experienced lip edema, causing difficulties in treatment. This report describes the case of a 12-year-old boy with perennial allergic rhinitis since the age of 8 years. After ingesting fresh fruits and raw vegetables at the age of 11 years, he started to experience lip edema repeatedly. Thus, the patient was referred to our department. Based on the results of serum antigen-specific IgE, prick-to-prick, and allergen component tests, he was diagnosed with PFAS.
He has been instructed to avoid causative food. Furthermore, the treatment using an antihistamine and antileukotriene receptor antagonist was initiated for pollen allergy. Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) for Japanese cedar pollen was initiated because the patient experienced severe nasal allergy symptoms during the dispersal season of this pollen. These treatments alleviated the nasal symptoms; however, the lip edema persisted. Omalizumab administration improved the lip edema. The combination of SLIT and omalizumab may be an effective treatment option for patients with PFAS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Oral allergy syndrome(OAS): symptoms of IgE-mediated hypersensitivity to foods.Clin Allergy. 1987; 17: 33-42
- New findings, pathophysiology, and antigen analysis in pollen-food allergy syndrome.Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immnol. 2019; 19: 218-223
- Japanese guidelines for food allergy 2017.Allergol Int. 2017; 66: 248-264
- Plant Food Allergy Improvement after Grass Pollen Subligual Immunotherapy: A Case Series.Pathogens. 2021; 10: 1412
- Japanese guidelines for allergic rhinitis 2020.Allegol Int. 2020; 69: 331-345
- Disappearance of severe oral allergy syndrome following omalizumab treatment.Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017; 49: 143-144
- Comparison of the Performance of Skin Prick, ImmnoCAP, and ISAC Tests in the Diagnosis of Patients with Allergy.Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2017; 172: 215-223
- Effects of birch pollen-specific immunotherapy on apple allergy in birch pollen-hypersensitive patients.Clin Exp Allergy. 1998; 28: 1368-1373
- How does the effect of birch pollen injection SIT on apple last?.Allergy. 2003; 58: 435-438
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of subcutaneous immunotherapy using birch pollen extract for pollen-food allergy syndrome.Arerugi. 2018; 67: 211-218
Hansen KS, Khinchi MS, Skov PS, Bindslev-Jensen C, Poulsen LK, Malling HS.
- Successful sublingual immunotherapy with birch pollen has limited effects on concomitant food allergy to apple and the immune response to the Bet v 1 homolog Mal d 1.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007; 119: 937-943
- Efficacy and safety of 4 months of sublingual immunotherapy with recombinant Mal d 1 and Bet v 1 in patients with birch pollen-related apple allergy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018; 141: 1002-1008
- IgE-blocking antibodies following SLIT with recombinant Mal d 1 accord with improved apple allergy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020; 146: 894-900
- Japanese Cedar pollen-based subcutaneous immunotherapy decreases tomato fruit-specific basophil activation.Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2015; 167: 137-145
- The use of omalizumab in allergen immunotherapy.Clin Exp Allergy. 2018; 48: 232-240
- A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study of omalizumab combined with oral immunotherapy for the treatment of cow's milk allergy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016; 137: 1103-1110
- Omalizumab facilitates rapid oral desensitization for peanut allergy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017; 139: 873-881
- Phase 2, randomized multi oral immunotherapy with omalizumab 'real life' study.Allergy. 2022; 77: 1873-1884
- Efficacy and safety of omalizumab for the treatment of severe or poorly controlled allergic diseases in children: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Front Pediatr. 2022; 10851177
- Omalizumab effectiveness in severe allergic asthma with multiple allergic comorbidities: A post-hoc analysis of the STELLAIR Study.J Asthma Allergy. 2021; 14: 1129-1138
- IgE to Bet v 1 and profilin: cross-reactivity patterns and clinical relevance.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002; 110: 435-442
Published online: December 27, 2022
Accepted: December 2, 2022
Received: June 18, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Japanese Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.