To investigate the vestibular endolymphatic hydrops in patients with semicircular canal malformation.
We searched 7864 patients who underwent MR Imaging after contrast injection and found 21 patients with semicircular canal malformations. Another 9 non-malformed patients with unilateral hearing loss were randomly included. We asked patients about their medical history and measured the volume of total vestibular fluid space and endolymphatic space. The vestibular volume ratio = endolymphatic space/total fluid space × 100.
Hearing loss was observed in 18 of 30 malformed ears and in 7 of 12 non-malformed ears. Statistical analysis showed no association between semicircular canal malformation and hearing loss. In the semicircular canal malformation group, the average vestibular volume ratio (22.6%) in the ears with hearing loss was higher than that in the ears without hearing loss (11.4%). There was no statistically significant difference in the average vestibular %EL in ears with hearing loss between the malformed inner ear group (22.6%) and non-malformed group (28.2%) (P>0.05).
There was no correlation between semicircular canal malformation and hearing loss. The mean vestibular hydrops volume ratio of the semicircular canal deformed ears with hearing loss was about 22.6%, which was not different from that of normal ears.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Congenital malformations of the inner ear: a classification based on embryogenesis.Laryngoscope. 1987; 97 (3 Pt 2 Suppl): 2-14
- A new classification for cochleovestibular malformations.Laryngoscope. 2002; 112: 2230-2241
- Cochlear implantation in inner ear malformations–a review article.Cochlear Implants Int. 2010; 11: 4-41
- New SMS classification of cochleovestibular malformation and its impact on decision-making.J Laryngol Otol. 2019; 133: 368-375
- Histopathology of inner ear malformations: do we have enough evidence to explain pathophysiology?.Cochlear Implants Int. 2016; 17: 3-20
- Prevalence of semicircular canal hypoplasia in patients with CHARGE syndrome: 3C syndrome.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017; 143: 168-177
- Comparison between high-resolution 3D-IR with real reconstruction and 3D-flair sequences in the assessment of endolymphatic hydrops in 3 tesla.Acta Otolaryngol. 2020; 140: 883-888
- Magnetic resonance imaging with intravenous gadoteridol injection based on 3D-real IR sequence of the inner ear in Meniere's disease patient: feasibility in 3.5-h time interval.Acta Otolaryngol. 2021; 141: 899-906
- The value of four stage vestibular hydrops grading and asymmetric perilymphatic enhancement in the diagnosis of Menière's disease on MRI.Neuroradiology. 2019; 61: 421-429
- Frequency and localization of congenital anomalies of the middle and inner ears: a human temporal bone histopathological study.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1988; 16: 1-22
- Bilateral posterior semicircular canal aplasia and atypical paroxysmal positional vertigo: a case report.Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2008; 28: 79-82
- Ratio of vestibular endolymph in patients with isolated lateral semicircular canal dysplasia.Magn Reson Med Sci. 2015; 14: 203-210
- Grading of endolymphatic hydrops using magnetic resonance imaging.Acta Otolaryngol Suppl. 2009; 560: 5-8
- Current embryology of the temporal bone, part I: the inner ear.Neurographics. 2016; 64: 250-265
- Bilateral, isolated, lateral semicircular canal malformation without hearing loss.J Laryngol Otol. 2008; 122: 858-860
- Observations on the pathology of Ménière's syndrome: (Section of Otology).Proc R Soc Med. 1938; 31: 1317-1336
- Visualization of endolymphatic hydrops in patients with Meniere's disease.Laryngoscope. 2007; 117: 415-420
- Magnetic resonance-based volumetric measurement of the endolymphatic space in patients with Meniere's disease and other endolymphatic hydrops-related diseases.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2019; 46: 493-497
Published online: February 04, 2023
Accepted: January 24, 2023
Received: November 7, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Japanese Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.