A 46-year-old man who had been diagnosed with eosinophilic otitis media (EOM) and eosinophilic chronic rhinosinusitis was referred to our department. He suffered from bilateral earache, clogged ear sensation, and otorrhea associated with EOM. He had been treated with a myringotomy and a ventilation tube (VT) insertion. However, his symptoms did not improve, and the VT repeatedly fell out. We performed canal wall down mastoidectomy via a retro-auricular incision to remove the presumed cholesterol granuloma (CG) and a long-term VT insertion. The VT fell out repeatedly. Therefore, a large VT that Komune devised was inserted. Four months after reinsertion, there was no evidence of recurrent otorrhea or fallout of a large VT. A large VT insertion could be useful in the severe case of EOM with CG.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Auris Nasus Larynx
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Petrous apex cholesterol granuloma revealed by facial palsy.Ann Neurol. 2021; 89: 414-415
- Cholesterol granuloma of the petrous apex: a 5-year review of radiology reports with follow-up of progression and treatment.J Neurol Surg B. 2015; 76: 266-271
- Eosinophilic otitis media: a new middle ear disease entity.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2008; 8: 525-530
- Eosinophilic otitis media.Otol Neurotol. 2014; 35: e206-e207
- Diagnostic criteria of eosinophilic otitis media, a newly recognized middle ear disease.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2011; 38: 456-461
- A new treatment for middle-ear cholesterin granuloma based on the temporal bone impregnation theory.JOHNS. 2016; 33: 1639-1642
- The giant cholesterol cyst of the petrous apex: a distinct clinical entity.Laryngoscope. 1985; 95: 1401-1406
- A blue middle ear mass: Cholesterol granuloma mimicking a glomus tumor and endolymphatic sac tumor.Am J Otolaryngol. 2017; 38: 100-102
- Endoscopic versus microscopic approach in stapes surgery: are operative times and learning curve important for making the choice?.Otol Neurotol. 2016; 37: 1350-1357
- Tympanomastoid cholesterol granulomas: Immunohistochemical evaluation of angiogenesis.Laryngoscope. 2017; 127: E283-EE90
- Risk factors associated with severity of eosinophilic otitis media.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2014; 41: 513-517
- Intractable otitis media - pathogenesis and treatment of Eosinophilic otitis media (EOM) and otitis media with Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA) -associated vasculitis (OMAAV).Auris Nasus Larynx. 2022;
- Effectiveness of myringoplasty in patients with eosinophilic otitis media.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2021; 48: 368-376
Published online: February 13, 2023
Accepted: January 31, 2023
Received: November 16, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Japanese Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Inc. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.